Wow! How time flies when you’re having fun! A little update on my goals and life! My boyfriend is safely overseas and doing well. I am very proud of him for becoming Pilot in Command! What a great accomplishment. He is such a smart, intelligent, kind, and loving human being. My beautifully designed classroom is doing fabulous! I love walking into my classroom everyday! It is so wonderful!
I am sure you are all wondering how my health goals are going. It was a slow process. Let me explain why. In October I had a virus of the colon. It was NOT fun! I knew something was wrong, for about a month. I decided to go to the doc. Glad I did. The unfortunate part was that at any given time I had to use the restroom, if you know what I mean 😦 So working out…well…ya know. Then I was on some medication to get rid of the virus. This lovely medication made me lose my appetite so I had no energy to work out:( Then when I got my appetite back, I was so scared to get up in the morning and have a BM emergency in the morning while working out. Therefore, I problem solved. I set my alarm clock for 420 am. I conditioned my body to wake up. I did this for 2 weeks. I was still so scared to go to the gym in the morning. I mean how embarrassing would that be ….to have to use the restroom in the middle of the WOD! Plus, I was NOT a morning person either. However, I had to get there in the morning, because even going after work was sporadic. One Thursday at the gym I was talking to one of my friends. I must say that God works in mysteries ways. She too was wanting to go to the gym in the am. She felt the same way I did about getting up in the mornings. We both were NOT morning people. So we made a promise to each other to be at the gym at 500 am! It worked!! Her and I are now 5amers at the gym! (Disclaimer: I am on my winter break so I have NOT been to the gym at 5 am….sorry…..that is NOT happening over my break! )
I believe some goals can be taken one step at a time while others just get after them. This particular goal for me, worked best if I took it one step at a time. Therefor, my first goal was to get to the gym at 5am. My next goal is nailing the nutrition. What a great time after the holidays! Wowzer! Don’t get me wrong, my nutrition wasn’t horrible… but I sure need a clean up! So, like everyone else in this world, the first of the new year is cleaning up the nutrition. “That’s what everyone says” you say. Well, here is the difference between me and “everyone else” in the world: The best part of this goal for me, is that I know I will achieve it! Why because I know how to achieve my goal. I understand myself. I understand that I am human. I understand that I make mistakes and know that I will slip up and not be perfect. I understand that this time of year I always enjoy the holiday probably a little too much! BUT, I also understand that this girl needs that to recharge herself and well-being. Due to knowing all that about myself, I will achieve my goal!
For a friendly reminder of how to achieve your goals, I will share with you what works for me:
- WRITE your goals down! Write down what your goal is. How you are going to achieve your goal. Write down the date. The biggest thing here is to make sure it is attainable. For example:
- Goal: Cook a paleo meal in the crockpot on Sunday for my lunches.
- How: On Saturday search for an easy crockpot recipe. Write down the recipe.
- Chicken and salsa (so easy)
- When: Groceries Saturday and cook Sunday.
- (Notice, that my goal wasn’t….lose 10 pounds. That may be my ultimate goal, but how am I going to lose the 10 pounds? By eating healthier:) The biggest problem for most people is time! The crock pot is the the best and there are A LOT of easy healthy recipes! )
- DISPLAY the goals….in .more.than.one.spot!!
- What places in your house do you go to more than once a day?
- Your front door! Bathroom, kitchen, computer, car etc????
- Have a copy of your goal in all these places. I write them down on a notecard and tape them up. I make sure one is tapped up on my front door. Every morning I am reminded of my goal:)
- What places in your house do you go to more than once a day?
- Make yourself ACCOUNTABLE. For me it was promising a friend to be at the gym at 5am. I didn’t want to let her down. I knew if I made that promise I would be there.
- Figure out your PURPOSE! Why are you wanting to achieve your goal? Be honest with yourself. It is your health? Do you want to be healthier for your children because they look up to you? Is it because you are on the verge of a heart attack? Is it because you want to fit into your favorite swim suit in 3 months. Is it because you want to run a marathon? Play with your kids? This is also something that you should post with your goals!!
*****It IS important to have long-term goals! But, break them down to simple attainable goals. *****
Something else that I have learned over the last few years of working with people who want to lose weight. The do’s and don’t:
- LEARN about food! You may be really surprised at what you DON’T know. I have learned so much about what healthy food REALLY is compared to what I thought it was. If you don’t have the time to do that on your own, pay someone to help you! It will be the best investment for your health! You don’t have to pay this person for the rest of your life, but just to teach you about what is healthy for you! (Paying for things will also be a motivation to listen and do!)
- Get your whole family involved! Kids included! For some of you, this is your purpose anyway to show your kids how to live a healthy life. Well… get them involved!
- Write your long term and short term goals down!
- Understand that this is a life style change! It is NOT a diet!
- Understand that you WILL mess up! YOU are only HUMAN!
- MOVE! You need to exercise PERIOD!!
- Take it one step at a time. Taking it one step at a time has been more effective in a life style change than trying to do it all at once. This is true for those wanting to lose 10 pounds to 100 pounds!
- Find someone to answer to. Either pay someone or promise someone that you will know will push you.
- DO THE OPPOSITE OF ALL THE ABOVE…lol:)
If you would like to read some of my other blogs about how to reach your goals, please click on the following:
Until next time….get those goals written down….