Interested on how to gain mass and lose body fat? I recommend trying what they call the block diet. I of course, do not see it as a diet, but a way of life. This type of plan, for sure, could be used your entire life! A lot of crossfitters actually follow this plan.
Here is how it works:
1. Understand, that the full benefit of the Zone diet is largely limited to those who have at least at first weighed and measured their food.
2. Eat meat and veggies, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar (sound familiar).
3. What is your activity level? If you work out once a day you will use .7 as your guide for the formula below.
4. Find your lean body mass by using some type of a body mass caliper.
5. Take your lean body mass multiply that by .7 (activity levels). Then divide that by 7 (the amount of protein in one block). For example, if you weigh 200 pounds and you have 20% body fat (40 pounds of body fat with 160 pounds of muscle). You would take 160 X .7 = 112 divided by 7 to get 16. This represents that you need 16 blocks through out your day.
6. What is a block you ask?
1 Block = 7 grams of protein, 9 grams of carbohydrate, 1.5 grams of fat (there is an assumption that there is about 1.5 grams of fat in each block of protein, so the total amount of fat needed per 1 block meal is 3 grams.)
7. Use this plan for about a month. Make sure you measure your food and keep a food log. Also keep a journal of how you are performing in the gym. Your ultimate goal is to eat to perform. At the end of the month, re-evaluate:)
Want some more information on the zone plan and some meal ideas? Click here and scroll down to “Favorite these babies” and click on “The Zone Diet” !
Until next time…eat so you perform well in the gym!